Saturday 21 March 2009

Podcast Recomendations

I've only fairly recently discovered the brilliance of a good podcast, but I thought I'd share with you a few of my favourites, and hopefully you can tell me some of yours!

Sound Opinions

Presented by Greg Kot and Jim DeRogatis; two music journalists from Chicago who are true music lovers. Each week they present an hour-long show that features music news, reviews, features, in-depth analyses, live sessions and some great music debates. Since I have started listening they have featured, amongst others, Radiohead, The Hold Steady and Frightened Rabbit on the show. These guys know their music from rock to pop to hip hop, classic and modern.

This is what I envisioned In Transit sounding like before Olly came along and gave it a bit of a different odd-ball direction.

Click here for more about the Sound Opinions podcast.

Guardian Music Weekly

Like Sound Opinions; but the British version (and not as good). Presented by Paul MacInnes and Rosie Swash each week they have news, interviews and "singles club" in which they review (and often slate) the newest singles being released that week.

Often there is more emphasis on British music which is a good thing.

Click here for more about Guardian Music Weekly podcast.

RadioLab

Now for something a bit different. This was originally recommended to me by Robin Pecknold believe it or not (if you don't know that's this guy). This a pop-science podcast that comes out in seasons of 5 episodes at a time.

They take a theme such as genetics and present interesting experiments done in the field in an easy to understand and enjoyable manner. They range from 10 minutes long to an hour.

If you want a clearer idea check out one of the most recent ones called 'Mischel's Marshmallows' which was only 15 minutes long but definitely one of the best yet.

Click here for more about the RadioLab podcast.

Most People Are DJ's

Now for something a little more homegrown. This is another show on Rare FM, also on sundays from 9-10pm, presented by our friend Edwin.

The fact that it is named after a song by The Hold Steady only gives you a small insight into Edwin's music tastes. Each week he presents a barrage of great and diverse acts that range from the mainstream to the extremely obscure. In fact listening to Edwin's show often leaves me with a sense of despair at the fact that I will never have the time to fully explore all of the great artists that he has just unveiled to me in as much depth as I would like.

Click here for the Most People Are DJ's blog. (It's not technically a podcast but a weekly download in the same vein as the In Transit one).

------------------------------

Hope you enjoy these, I have some more up my sleeve if you are interested. Please feel free to recommend some to me.

Rob

No comments:

 
Unique Viewers
Unique Viewers
Total Page Views
Total Page Views