Thursday 29 January 2009

I hate these kids


Now anybody that knows me will know that I've never fully understood Animal Collective's appeal but I'm starting to come around to it. I'm saying this because I don't want you to think that I hate the kids because they're saying bad things about a band I like; the reason I hate them is their reasoning for hating Animal Collective: they've become "too popular".

In Dasal's earlier post obscure and pretentious we had two guys making fun of and being ironic about dudes who try to act cool because they listen to way obscure music. That video is funny. The fact that there are people out there like it makes me mad, especially with the demeanor that the kids in this video have as if they have some God-given right to tell everyone what's right and what's wrong.

What also makes me mad is that they don't even give a good reasoning for turning against Animal Collective apart from the fact that now more people have heard of them, surely a good thing right? My personal favourite band Radiohead have garnered quite a lot of press attention surrounding the release of their last album, shit, they're even playing at the Grammy Award Ceremony but you don't see me flying off the chain about it.

They try to act cool by turning each song title into a pun that makes fun of Animal Collective. This bit's actually quite funny but only to laugh at how pathetic they are.

The bit where my blood really boiled is right towards the end when they say "it was cool to be a fan", thus admitting that they only listen to Animal Collective because they're trying to look cool and are now jumping ship because they don't want to be grouped with everyone else. They need to stay "indie".

Idiots. Even the cat looks unimpressed, he probably has more brains than any of them.

Rob

No comments:

 
Unique Viewers
Unique Viewers
Total Page Views
Total Page Views